[rescue] IRIX Java experiences?

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Mon Jan 6 08:31:42 CST 2003

"Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366" <patrick at zill.net> wrote:

> Any folks here have experience with Java running on IRIX?

I run Java on my Octane (Irix 6.5.15maybe) and it works exactly as you'd
expect it.  Releases of the JDK and JRE are usually a revision behind
the rest of the world, but they run exactly like you'd expectthem to.
If you don't need the latest Java version, Irix is a good choice, IMO.
I've had very good luck with iy on my Octane, even filling in for a
couple P3-based servers in a pinch, with no appreciable difference in
speed.

> I know a few folks here were working heavily with Java and had beliefs
> as to which platform to go with.

Solaris/Sparc is a good platform, I have no idea how Solaris/Intel
stacks up.  OS X on G4 hardware has gotten some very good reviews
lately, one from my brother-in-law who is swearing that he wants a rack
full of XServes to run our Java backend by this time next year (we'll
see :).  Linux/x86 is also good, but depending on the calculations, it
may suffer due to the x86 processor.

If running on Linux/x86, I suggest the IBM JRE - it seems to work a
little better according to all the developers I've worked with.  I don't
know why, that's what they tell me.

Use what you have.  If what you have is a SGI system running Irix, use
it - you won't be disapointed...

--
Kurt                "I remember that I've got a solid base of worms and
kurt at k-huhn.com      ant eggs.  I puke like a hero all night long."