[rescue] Worthy Project?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sun Jan 5 16:39:54 CST 2003

On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 02:27:51PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Does anyone actually buy Xboxes, though?  Every game player I've
> spoken to about them disses them 'cause they're just fairly ordinary
> (but purpose-boxed) PCs.

XBoxs are big around here.  Most people around here think they are
pretty spiffy.  It makes me so mad.

The XBox has some interesting things about it.  It is similar to the
NVidia NForce, except it uses a P3 instead of a Athlon.  Further, rather
than a Geforce2 or Geforce4MX, it uses something like a geforce3 or
geforce4, except on the motherboard tied into the system like the
Geforce2s are in the nforce (meaning, direct access to memory over a
higher speed bus than regular AGP is, and memory being fast enough to
fully feed both the CPU and GPU simultaneously).  It might not have more
bandwidth than a Octane, but it darn well does have a lot of bandwidth,
and could be made to do interesting things under Linux I bet.

However, probably no one ever will.  I mean, where is the spiffy
software optimized for NForces?

And worst of all, it is from MS, which is a good reason to just ignore
the nifty parts and say no.

--
Joshua D. Boyd