[rescue] all ports busy

Paul Phillips paul at partitura.com
Sat Jan 4 16:14:29 CST 2003

Urgh..

I thought I had this working...
(it worked last week...)

Today I went to use tip on my Ultra 2 to access the serial port on my
headless Netra T105.

No matter what I do, when I run -
tip hardwire
the Ultra 2 reports back:
tip: /dev/term/a: Permission denied
all ports busy

I am running it as root.  At first I didn't know if the error was referring
to the ports on the target (netra) or to the ports on the local maching
(Ultra).  So I shut down the netra, and I still get the same message.  Is
something using the Ultra serial A port that prevents tip from accessing
it?  I don't know how to determine this.

Not knowing what I was doing (always dangerous!) I used the admintool to
look at the serial ports.  i then shut down the zsmon on port A.  That made
no difference.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks
Paul Phillips