[rescue] ISO cheap 64MB 72 pin simms

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Fri Jan 3 11:18:39 CST 2003

>First, $9 for SIMMs like that (sort of unique, I've only seen/used up
>to 32 meg SIMMs myself), is really reasonable, IMHO...

Stock, it'll run up to a 16MB (2k refresh).  If you add a line from cpu to
simm socket, you can run 4k refresh.  Someone
(http://www.luban.org/Webpal/) claims that you can then use 32 and 64 MB
simms.  I've tested mine with a 16 MB out of an IPX.

>Second, you have a WebPal? I have two that need to be put to active use

Two--it's better to have a spare in case you blow away the flash simm on
one!  (Which has happened to me once so far.)

>- what is yours doing? Any info you can provide for using anything
>other than the factory installed software would be appreciated... (For
>those unfamiliar, these are WebTV-type boxes, but they work with any
>ISP. They have an OS/Browser installed, but it is a very old browser)

You can run linux (but not all the peripherals are supported).  You can
replace the ISA modem with some el-cheapo NE2k clone NICs.  You can attach
a IDE hard drive.  You can build a level converter and get the two serial
ports to work.  You can run gdb remote debugging to the existing Webpal OS
(nice of the boys to leave that in!).

	Links:

http://www.luban.org/Webpal/

http://webpal.bigbrd.com/

http://mtrob.fdns.net/~webpal/

http://www.anycities.com/user/webpal/

http://www.linux-hacker.net/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.pl

Mine is a testbed for learning about the ARM chip, so I'm more interested
in the hardware and low-level hacking.

newell