[rescue] Sun Sparcserver 1000 question

James james at jdfogg.com
Fri Jan 3 10:14:34 CST 2003

Sounds like you still have a water problem. A wash with isoproponyl
(isopropyl alcohol without any water in it) should do it. Use a soft
bristle brush to work the alcohol under components. Use plenty and let it
drain off the boards. Watch the alcohol on your hands, they will turn white
from loss of skin oils. The alcohol will attach to any water molecules and
ferry them away. Dry with a hair dryer. and let stand for a few days. Its
risky, but you can also use "canned air" to quickly dry under components
(the risk is in static charge generation, but I have used this technique
many times with no problems).

This technique has been used in several manufacturing facilities I have
worked in.

disclaimer: The isoproponyl is flammable, so be careful with the hairdryer.
Labels and maybe some discrete component markings will be damaged. Inks,
stamps and such will be washed off. Some board coatings (not common in
computers) and any solder flux will be washed off (this is great for
removing flux).