[rescue] Cool hardware!

Linc Fessenden linc at thelinuxlink.net
Thu Jan 2 10:10:57 CST 2003

On 2 Jan 2003, John Ruschmeyer wrote:

> >From having tried to donate used PCs before, I'm curious... what's your
> minimum "usable" system (i.e, do you even look at at boxes earlier than,
> say, a P100)?
>
> <<<john>>>

Well, I guess that depends..  I will look at just about anything.  Ideally
I would like to give out the equivilent of p200 or better pc's or macs to
the kids, but we have to work with what we have.  Also, since we are going
to use Linux instead of windows where we can, that means that we can get
older hardware to perform better.  There also instances where we have
other nfp orgs requesting a server of some sort, ie webserver or
file/print server etc where Linux on a 486 or early pentium does the job
wonderfully.

--
-Linc Fessenden