[rescue] What is an XTerminal 1?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Jan 1 17:39:56 CST 2003

On Wed, 1 Jan 2003, Michael Schiller wrote:

> I have OroborOSX and XDarwin both installed, and never used Fink. What
> exactly does Fink do? And why do I need it?

Fink is kinda-sorta like the OpenBSD ports tree for OS X.  That is, you
select what software to install and it handles the minutae of finding,
downloading, compiling, and installing all the dependencies for you.
This is handy for installing things like XEmacs or The GIMP on a slow
Macintosh, since you don't have to babysit several hours of compilation.

It's not necessary at all if you feel like compiling your own software
by hand, but it makes life easier if you don't.

--
Jonathan Patschke
  "Albert Einstein nailed space-time, but the wild thing had him stumped.