[rescue] What is an XTerminal 1?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jan 1 16:47:25 CST 2003

On Wednesday, January 1, 2003, at 12:45 PM, Paul Phillips wrote:
>>> The noise level in my home office is beginning to drive me nuts.
>>> Five
>>> computers with fans going are just too much.
>>> I'd like to move the two Suns into another room.
>
> Or, I can install Fink and run X on my Mac OS X, and use that as a
> terminal, right? (This is totally uncharted territory for me...)

   Well, X doesn't depend on Fink, so strictly speaking you don't need
Fink to do X on OS X.

   I agree with Jon though...OroborOSX is the way to go when running X
under OS X.

   The one thing that's truly annoying about it is the fact that it's
totally unaccelerated.  I'm doing a lot of electronic design stuff that
really requires good 2D performance (schematic capture, PCB routing),
and xdarwin just doesn't have it.  So I've put my SGI back on my desk
to do the EDA stuff on that.  (I know, that's more 3D performance than
2D, but it was handy and I knew I could get the stuff compiled there)

        -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "She's a cheek pincher.  I have scars."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Gary Nichols