[rescue] What is an XTerminal 1?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Jan 1 14:25:53 CST 2003

On Wed, 1 Jan 2003, Ross Alexander wrote:

> > Or, I can install Fink and run X on my Mac OS X, and use that as a
> > terminal, right? (This is totally uncharted territory for me...)
>
> Yep.
> http://www.xdarwin.org

And then:
http://oroborosx.sourceforge.net/  (XDarwin is a prereq, so you have to
install it first)

And finally run off to CompUSA to pick up one of those nifty $20
Microsoft USB optical wheel mice, so that you don't go nuts for lack
of buttons 2 and 3 (and 4 and 5, if your software supports it).

OroborOSX isn't entirely necessary, but it makes a desktop full of X11
windows and Aqua windows much more unified.  However, if you really want
to run your machine strictly as an XTerminal (that is, XDMCP to a Unix
box, log in, and get your desktop), you don't want it at all; you want
to run XDarwin in fullscreen mode and do XDMCP just like you would on
any other machine running XFree86.

--
Jonathan Patschke
  "Albert Einstein nailed space-time, but the wild thing had him stumped.