webcams (was: Re: [rescue] quad 486)

jwbirdsa at picarefy.com jwbirdsa at picarefy.com
Thu Feb 27 15:27:30 CST 2003

   I thought about seeing whether the Quickcam was supported under Linux,
but then I'd also need support for Compaq's old, (presumably) proprietary
486 multiprocessing, and they'd have to actually work in the same kernel
version, and on and on. Given the logistical misery, and the number of
times I've been burned by Linux in the past, and the other things I have
in mind for this machine, and the fact that I know NT supports them all,
Windows, for all its faults, seemed like it would require less effort.
As much as I'm grumbing, 1) the webcam *is* working and 2) putting in a new
video card to work around Video for Windows' stupidity isn't that hard. As
much as I'd like to be a purist, I don't necessarily have the time.

   --James B.