[rescue] DEC Alpha Questions

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Sun Feb 23 02:05:26 CST 2003

OK... my Alpha collection is growing...

I have a "generic" AXP PCI 33 (I think that is what it is called),
Alphastation 250 4/266 (with PV-PCI video), and 2 (possibly 3)
Aspen Systems Alpine 275XS systems (currently 2 have ARC firmware
(but I have replacement EPROMS with SRM firmware), the third parts
system I have not test fired the mainboards so I don't know the firmware).

So, as I understand it I can run:

OSF/1
Digital Unix
Tru64
OpenVMS
OpenBSD
NetBSD
FreeBSD
Redhat Linux
more Linuxes

I want one OpenVMS box and I understand I can get hobbiest licensing from
montagar.com (someone said you had to be a member of some group first, is
this so, and where do you become a member of that group prior to signing up
for hobbies VMS from montagar ?).

I would like one OSF/1, Digital Unix, or Tru64 box (recommendations here).

So, I'm guessing I'm looking for people's experiences with Alpha systems like
these to give me a good idea of what is best to run on which box.

Is there a hobbiest license for Digital Unix and/or Tru64 ???

Thanks,

  -- Curt