[rescue] quad 486

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Fri Feb 21 16:10:21 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave McGuire" <mcguire at neurotica.com>
To: "The Rescue List" <rescue at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2003 5:04 PM
Subject: Re: [rescue] quad 486

>    Many of Altos' machines were based on Z80 and 80386 processors.  I
> think there were a few 8086-based ones as well but that part of my
> memory is fading.

Indeed the one I'm talking about was 8086 or 286 based... I don't remember
which, but I remember it fondly... we had 4 serial terms hanging off it and
it ran Xenix 3.1a.  Took about 30 seconds sometimes to do an ls.  We were
doing simple c programs and shell scripting on it.  This was a computers in
chemistry course that I took at the University of Maryland.  Another list
member was actually looking for the OS for one a little while ago and I
directed him to the professor who ran that course Dr. Thomas Murphy.  He was
an interesting professor if a little gruff... I loved what he always said
when anyone asked him about NT... "It's a toy."  This course was supposed to
be a chem course but it was much more of a geeks list meets classroom kind
of thing.

Andrew