[rescue] Fire V100 LOM?

Robert Rose rr at rits.com.au
Fri Feb 21 00:29:55 CST 2003

At 10:20 AM 20/02/2003 -0600, Eric wrote:
>We just got in two Fire V100's at work and I can't for the life of me figure
>out how LOM and OBP are related to each other.  Can someone please impart
>clue not found in the manuals..?

The LOM relationship to OBP is not all that unlike the OBP relationship to
Solaris.  LOM deals with the environmentals (power, temp, fans, etc) and is
available as long as the power cord is plugged in.  You can access it at
any time, even if the operating system is running.  It's a slightly
different way of doing things to what Sun did with the Remote System
Control (RSC) that came standard on the E250, have a look at Sun's stuff on
RSC and how it works to get an idea of what LOM is trying to achieve.

>Also, if you follow the system manual, there's a first-time configuration
>that
>can be gone through if you do a "poweron" from LOM (versus a normal "boot" in
>OBP).  What is this?

A waste of time!  It's the preinstalled Solaris that they mention in their
marketing blurb, it probably won't fit in too well with your company's
standard Solaris install, so nuke it and start over.

>I'm about to say screw it and just stick the Sol9 CDs and start over.

Jumpstart works for me.

Rob.