[rescue] Re: Wanted - Dual (or quad) PPro

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Thu Feb 20 03:07:46 CST 2003

> So, if your thinking of overdrives, I'd go with a PR440FX.  I've heard the
> W6Li works... but maybe it is dependant on a board revision or something...
> definately didn't work in mine.
>
> -- Curt

Speaking of PII overdrives, I've got some neat info. Although Intel never officially 'qualified' the PII Overdrive for SMP systems with more than two processors, they didn't disable the ability in hardware.

I personally run a Unisys Aquanta HS/6 (basically an OEM'd ALR Revolution 6x6) with six PII Overdrive CPUs and it hasn't missed a beat in the last two years. I consider it a 6-way mini-Xeon system. In terms of performance, the OD CPUs are a big step up from the 200MHz/512K chips I used to run.

I have also heard of people successfully running four PII Overdrives in quad CPU boards.

Incidentally, I'm still keeping space set aside in my zoo for a system running multiple 200MHz/1MB Pentium Pro chips. I used to lust after them really badly when I was younger.

Although I am not a major fan of the PC architecture, I still think that the PPro was one of the great CPUs. The ideas it introduced have gone on to have a profound impact on the industry.

Regards,

Gavin