[rescue] Multia Question

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Wed Feb 19 18:05:55 CST 2003

>> A quick glance through the datasheet for the CL-7500 shows that it can
>> support 1,2,4,8,16, and 32 bits/pixel, with 8 bit DACs each for RGB.
>> All the guys running Linux are doing so in 8bpp mode.  Been too busy
>> with work lately to actually check that the bare metal is capable of
>> 32bpp.
>
>Could you refer me to the docs?

Of course.  The 7500 datasheet is available at:
http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proDatasheet/ps7500fe.pdf

>NetBSD supports the ARM7500 under NetBSD/acorn32.  So that should make
>things a bit easier.  Do you have specs on this chip?  I'm not really that
>familiar with ARM.  How does it compare with the StrongARM chips?

Lots of datasheets links (all the major chips) and schematic at:
http://www.geocities.com/webpalstuff/

Quite a bit slower than the StrongARM, but it does have a floating point
coprocessor.  Don't know if anyone is using it or how well the FPA is
supported by gcc, linux, or netbsd, however.

I think it would be fun to pipe audio over ethernet to it.  Use the Webpal
as a buffer and DAC, and a beefier back-end machine to convert from
whatever file format (MP3, uncompressed 44.1k/16 bits, whatever) to raw
audio samples and stream it out.

newell