[rescue] Small serial terminal

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Wed Feb 19 13:40:34 CST 2003

Mike Meredith <mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wednesday 19 February 2003 6:34 pm, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> > Also, the 'button bar' above the
> > keyboard has come unattached from the shell.  In looking, it seems
>
> It sounds more like you've got a Psion3 or 3a as the 5 integrated the
> button bar into the screen. The 3(a) was pre-ARM and ran EPOC16 rather
> than EPOC32 (a bit of retractive re-naming there).

I went prowling on eBay and saw some 5s and 3s - the 3 series look like what
I have.

> Good news: The screen was far more readable than the 5 (the 3 screen
> wasn't touch sensitive).
> Bad news: I don't think the comms program was built in; it came as
> part of the serial "cable" (there was a lump half-way down that
> contained a ROM or something). However, there are addon terminals progs
> for EOPC16 which might work if you can get the software installed, and
> construct some kind of cable.

After looking on eBay, I'm actually considering getting a 5 series.  Palms
are nice, but they lack useability.  My Vx can either have a modem on it or
a keyboard, not both.  Checking email in that fashion sucks.

> Also the keyboard on the 5 is far better than the 3; whilst it wasn't
> full sized, it felt as good as most laptops and fast finger pokers
> (rather than touch typers) could get pretty close to desktop typing
> speeds.

I noticed that, and I really think that would help immensly - I have short,
fat, round fingers that are not good for membrane-style keyboards.

> Of course, there's a good chance that there's other later Psion products
> that would be useful as a serial terminal ... I jumped ship for Palms
> about a year after getting the series 5.

Do you still have that 5?  Interested in selling/trading it?

--
Kurt                 " Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to flagellate
kurt at k-huhn.com        myself with a soldering iron."