[rescue] Alpha 8400, 7000r will they run linux??

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Feb 19 13:02:24 CST 2003

On 2003.02.19 18:48 Kevin Lee wrote:

> Here is my problem. I have recently acquired the following hardware:
> WITH NO OS:
>
> Alpha 8400 NT main frame / 10-14 alpha 447s
> Two DEC's 7000Rr's with quad 534 alphas
Oh - my - holy - Daemon. These are dream machines.
(For those of us that are not familar with with Alphas: The DEC 8400 is
a enterprise server of the class of a Sun Ultra Enterprise 10k or HP9000
V-Class. The DEC 7000 is the older predecessor of the DEC 8400.)

> I am looking for web sites, general dec info, linux info, TRU64/Linux
> iso's
\begin{Linux bashing}
Do not put this penguin toy on it, please.
Linux on a DEC 8400 is like using gold dishes to feed a pig. [1]
\end{Linux bashing}

There is NetBSD, it will run on the DEC 8400, even with SMP.
NetBSD can't run on the DEC 7000.
There is / was a Tru64 hobbyist license for $99 available from Compaq.
Tru64 is worth this money. It is a very nice UNIX that can Move Big
Rocks (C) (R) (TM). I'am runing  Tru64 on may day-to-day workstation...
Don't forget VMS. It will do very well on this hardware.
The nice thing on the DEC 8400: You can partition it and run different
OSes on the same machine. So you can have VMS, Tru64 and NetBSD runing
on it at the same time simultaneously.

> ps: I hope they will fit in my basement :-)
Well, I am sure they will fin in _my_ basement. ;-)

[1] Sorry, couldn't resist. Had to much trouble with that Linux toy
today.
--

tsch|_,
         Jochen