[rescue] Oh my gosh, an on-topic question! ;^)

Tom Ponsford tponsford at theriver.com
Wed Feb 19 09:12:39 CST 2003

Kurt Huhn wrote:
> "Kevin Loch" <kloch at gurunet.net> wrote:
>

>>The yellowing of plastic isn't "on" the plastic, it's a chemical
>>chang in the plastic itself.  This is caused primarally by
>>exposure to UV light.
>>

> And ciggarette smoke, in my experience.

Yeah, I knew that discoloration wasn't just something you could
"clean" off.  If the discolration isn't too deep though, it is possible
to "bleach" it to a lighter color, closer to the original. Unfortunaltly
the only "bleacher" to do this are highly caustic, toxic and somewhat
expensive. I was hoping someone knew of a cheaper more friendly
alternative.

On the other hand if you have a truly collectible computer, bleaching it
to a lighter color may diminish its future value. LOL How many times have
I seen on Antique Roadshow, a piece of furniture lose a great portion of its
antique value because it had been refinished or repainted. Keeping the
old paint
or varnish on, no matter how bad it looked, increased the value ten or
twenty fold.

So maybe keeping that old discolored look on my old pdp's and vaxes, may
be, in
foresite, a better collectible than one that had been "refinished"

Cheers
Tom Ponsford