[rescue] Small serial terminal

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 19 12:07:01 CST 2003

On Tuesday 18 February 2003 2:09 pm, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> Larry Snyder <larrys at lexis-nexis.com> wrote:
> > Hmmm...coulda been an old psion.  They had some strange stuff back
> > then.
>
> I've got a Psion in a box at the house.  It's seen better days, but
> it is prettty nifty hardware.  I don't recall that this model had a
> com port on it though.

Which Psion? They've been going a long time, and there's a big pile of
possibilities. All the ones I recall had a serial port on, but you do
need a special cable. I think they all have a "Comms" program built-in
to the ROM (I've just checked that the Psion5 does).

I've used a Psion 5 as a console on an emergency basis, and the keyboard
certainly makes it the best emergency console I've ever encountered.
One of the Sun engineers that I bump into carries a 5MX in addition to
his PDA for this reason.

Looking at it, a Psion netBook would probably be pretty close to ideal
as a non-emergency terminal except for the price. Seeing as I'm looking
at getting something like this, I think I'll leave a note for myself
next year to have a look to see if the prices have dropped enough.

And it'll probably run Linux :-|