[rescue] NVRAM (was Multia Question)

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Tue Feb 18 17:38:09 CST 2003

Unless your systems spends lots of hours powered off, the NVRAM still has
a lifespan that was more than enough for the machine's intended lifespan.

If you use a few commands at the open boot prompt you can stop the clock
and dramatically increase the shelf life of pulled chips, and installed
chips for systems that spend lots of time powered off....

Many vendors used these chips.

While I think it would have been much nicer to use a button cell or other
replacable cell I'm fine with the design.

Most of my sun4c boxes spend their time off, so I use the clock stop
method to lengthen the lifespan of the part.

What I am curious about is if other vendors who used these parts (and
similar ones) like SGI have a way to reprogram a blank part like you
can with the open boot prom in the Sun ?

-- Curt