[rescue] Re: Re: Small serial terminal

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Tue Feb 18 17:13:46 CST 2003

On Tuesday 18 February 2003 21:08, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> I don't see why people gripe about Redhat 6.2 and later so much.  In my
> experience it is just as good as any other linux (except perhaps
> Debian).  Just like in the other linuxs, you just have to chuck the
> package management system, recompile everything from scratch (especially
> the kernel) that you can, and redo the init scripts to your liking.
> That's the procedure I use for slackware, that's the procedure I use for
> redhat, that's the procedure I use for Suse, and that would probably be
> the procedure I'd use for mandrake, if I'd ever had a reason to use it.
> The distribution's just is just to get linux onto the computer somehow.
> After that, the rest is up to you.

Holy cow, you're nuts. Mandrake and Suse are built to stay with your hands out
of every possible text file. Every time you use the config tools it will
screw your carefully configured stuff.

Redo the init scripts? ditch the package management system? I can see your
point if you run slackware, but on any other distro you just didn't
understand what a distro is. The advantage of those is PACKAGE management -
it's that little something that *bsd nearly not have, and linux does. dpkg
and apt still amaze me every day.

Recompile? from tarbals I suppose? Or with apt-get, editing debian/rules (no
joke ;) ) and entering other compiletime options or GCC flags?

> BTW, I was starting to like Debian's package system, but it seems that
> if it's config files get hosed (say, because the harddrive they reside
> on starts failing, and corrupts the blocks that the files lived in),
> there is no realistic way to get it back without reinstalling the
> machine.  So, my debian machine is getting the install everything by
> hand and reconfigure as I see fit treatment now.

Ok now you're going too far! What nonsense. You obviously even didn't bother
to read the dpkg man pages didn't you? Just as a test, I hosed my proftpd
configuration files. Next step:

# dpkg-reconfigure proftpd

and THIRTY seconds later I had a working proftpd again. Now tell me what os
has a package management system and which has not.

--
Frank Van Damme
http://www.openstandaarden.be