[rescue] Blade 1000 and Video Cards

Paolo Di Francesco paipai at tin.it
Tue Feb 18 09:11:12 CST 2003

Hello sun Gurus,

I just got a blade 1000, and I would like to hear if
someone has comments regarding which is the best video
card (and why) between the following models I have in my
hands:

- Creator 3D (UPA)
- Elite 3d M6 (UPA)
- Expert3D lite

I am not sure if I got the Expert3D lite because I did
not spent much time checking, but it's PCI, 13W3
connector and I think it should be that beast. (I will
check later)

Now the problem: when I installed solaris9 (latest
version) the performance are close to ridiculus. I have
1x750Mhz and 1GB ram and it looks like running on an old
sparc, expecially when I move the windows.
Compared to a normal PC, it looks like 800Mhz or
slower... :(

Moreover the sun type6 keyboard is not like a sun type5.
Very low quality compared to that old nice keyboard :(
I think I will change it with a logitec or so (the same
for the mouse) but I don't know if that will work or not.
It's USB I know, but can I change them?

And... does anyone know if I can use ps2 Keyboards? No
PS2 connector is present into the Blade workstation but I
really would love to have it so that I can connect my
Blackbox KVM.
Any idea? :)

Any hint is very appreciated :)

--