[rescue] Need help with Cisco 3620

James james at jdfogg.com
Mon Feb 17 07:49:22 CST 2003

At 06:17 PM 2/15/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Oooh, there's hope yet.  I don't have any Cisco cables or hoods, so I played
>around with a hood I had and a straight-through cable and noticed a repeating
>pattern of noise on my terminal.  Tried several settings, but it seems that
>for some reason this guy is set to 2400-N81.  I played with the "DUART_RST"
>jumper and that may have had something to do with it as well.
>
>In any case, I now see the thing booting.  Looks like it has 32MB of memory.
>Bootstrap is 11.1(19)AA, Early Deployment Release Software (fc1).
>
>It keeps recycling saying that it "cannot determine first file name on device
>flash:".  Then it dumps into a ROM monitor.
>
>I take it this means that the flash card just needs to be loaded, right?
>Sadly, I have no PCMCIA cards nor IOS images.  What size card do I need and
>where can I get an image (yeah, I know, there's absolutely nothing legal
>about receiving an IOS image, and I understand that they're
>non-transferrable, too.)

There is a little bit of flash storage on the mobo for an ios image (at
least there is for a 3640, probably 3620 too). its not much but you could
run a non-current IP only ios. From the rommon there is a way to set the
boot params and tell it to use internal flash. You may also need to format
the flash.

All the docs for this are on the cisco website and should be available
without a login. I may have a single port 10/100 NM for this if you are
interested.