[rescue] SGI temps?

Bjorn Ramqvist v53278 at g.haggve.se
Mon Feb 17 02:31:00 CST 2003

deanders at pcisys.net wrote:

> (...I wonder if the RDRAM in my PS2 has any sort of heat spreader...)

It probably has, since RDRAM in general get pretty hot.

On a related discussion, the insane claim that RDRAM is "useless" (quote
from PeeCee weenies) is that due to its serialized nature, it's intended
toward different applications uses. SGI, for one thing, couldn't be all
that unwise to use RDRAMs for texturememory, otherwise it wouldn't be
there.
Intel, on the other hand, got this suit-wanking talk-over with Rambus to
use their proprietary RAM technique, for use as main memory. Without any
ground-up re-thinking architecturewise, performance would be
complicated. High bandwidth and high accesstime is completely different
from low bandwidth and low accesstime.
I suppose Sony found their use of RDRAMs in the PS2 for other reasons
than what Intel claimed to do.

/Bjorn