[rescue] Java - code to detect MAC address?

Eric Webb ttlchaos at randomc.com
Sat Feb 15 14:02:50 CST 2003

Since we had a good discussion related to coding lately, I figure we might
have the talent around here to help me figure something out.

A guy at work approached me asking if I could help him figure out a
cross-platform way of determining MAC address of the default route NIC.  I
can think of some commands and grepping and such that would work under a
specific Unix (for example, AIX and Linux work differently with ifconfig,
entstat, etc.).  But is there any cross-platform command (be it command line
or a C lib call) that would give this information?

The guy is using Java, so if there's a way to do this from Java, that would be
cool, too.

Thanks,
Eric