[rescue] SMC truly blows... even on Ultra 1/170

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Feb 14 15:18:19 CST 2003

On Friday, February 14, 2003, at 02:46 PM, Kevin Loch wrote:
>> I just loaded Sol9 on the Ultra 1 I have.  170.256MB config.
>> SMC is dog-slow.  I feel like I am running NT3.1 on a 386/16MB system
>> or something.
>> Do people actually use this thing in production?  I guess if I was
>> getting paid by the hour I'd love it.
>
> About the only thing you might use it for is Metadisk config.
> I would recommend learning the command tools.
>
> SMC is a dog, but I'm wondering how much of the problem is
> Java on Solaris 9?

   Zero.  I run it all day on Solaris 9 and it screams.

   SMC is a piece of shit, that's all there is to it.

   "Wow, Windows sucks, and their programmers drink coffee...Coffee is
obviously at fault, so it must really suck!"  ...this makes about as
much sense.

   You are technical people.  Most of you make a living with layers of
abstraction.  Think about it.

   That is all.

      -Dave