[rescue] SMC truly blows... even on Ultra 1/170

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Feb 14 13:27:49 CST 2003

> I just loaded Sol9 on the Ultra 1 I have.  170.256MB config.
>
> SMC is dog-slow.  I feel like I am running NT3.1 on a 386/16MB system
> or something.

I had the same reaction trying to run SMC on an U1/200E with 512MB
of RAM...so it's not just you.  This is what Java gets you.

> Do people actually use this thing in production?  I guess if I was
> getting paid by the hour I'd love it.

Even when I was getting paid by the hour, I didn't like wasting time.
I can't imagine using it in production on anything less than a 280R
or similar with newer fast processors.

  --Rip