Carillons (was Re: [rescue] Sun memo regarding Java)

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Fri Feb 14 10:06:13 CST 2003

"Jeffrey Nonken" <jeff_work at nonken.net> writes ...

> On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:25:20 -0500, "Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at cmhcsys.com>
> wrote:
>
> > PPS:  Is the carillon at Heidelberg College in Tiffin, Ohio, one of
yours?
> > It's the only one I've ever played.  "Louie, Louie" sounded great on it,
at
> > 3 AM....
>
> Here's your answer:
>
> "It is a MKIII Americana 318 installed in 1994."
>
> I wasn't able to find a Mark III on our web site, looks like we're only
> selling Gen4 models now. But the if I understand correctly, the Americana
is
> the keyboard system, which you should be able to see by downloading the
.PDF
> file at http://www.schulmerichbells.com/Content1/S02000023.html

Ummm. I forgot to mention that I played that carillon in 1970 ... so maybe
it was the grandfather of the one you guys installed in 1994.  I sorta
imagined those things were fairly permanent, but, of course, the one I
played in 1970 might have been there for 50 years already and been really,
really tired by 1994.

For all I know, it was a fake carillon anyway; some sort of electronics and
loudspeakers instead of real bells.  It sure was loud, though.  I hear that
after Ann Marie and I fled the building, seven jurisdictions sent
"representatives" to investigate....

Thanks for looking that up.  Thinking about one's massively misspent youth
is a good way to start the day.

-Shel