[rescue] AT&T 3b1 Starlan software

Jeffrey Nonken jeff_work at nonken.net
Thu Feb 13 14:21:17 CST 2003

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:29:58 -0800 (PST), James Lockwood <james at foonly.com>
wrote:

> Jeffrey is referring to the original DOS.  This
> was forked off of BOS/360, along with TOS (unimaginatively named for "Tape
> Operating System").  It eventually spawned VSE/SP and VSE/ESA ("Virtual
> Storage Extended").  Another fork in the OS evolutionary tree lead to MFT,
> MVT, and eventually to MVS and OS/390.

Yes, yes, that's the stuff! It's all coming back to me now. :)

NDSU's 360/50 was running HASP under OS/MFT ("Multitasking with a Fixed
number
of Tasks"). Or however that combination works. 4 tasks, one running HASP
("Houston Automatic Spooling Processor"), the other three running jobs. Don't
ask for more details, I don't even remember how many disk drives it had,
though I remember it had 2 tape drives. Big mofos. That's where I learned to
thread a drive, I worked there as a clerk for a while. (Never as an operator,
though.)

And a chain printer, OMG. No alarms on that thing, that would be redundant.
Just lift the motorized, sound-proofed lid and the operator would wake RIGHT
the hell up. :)

---
Quite frankly I'm against people who give vent to their loquacity by
extraneous bombastic circumlocution.