[rescue] AT&T 3b1 Starlan software

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Thu Feb 13 13:02:20 CST 2003

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Jeffrey Nonken wrote:

> That's IBM arrogance at work. They called their operating system OS, for
> Operating System, their disk operating system DOS, and later their personal
> computer PC. As if there were no others.

Nope, that is IBM piss poor branding department. and DOS was an earlier OS
that was actually bought by M$... IBM never branded that product except
for the IBM-DOS or PC-DOS, but that was because they had to keep up with
MS-DOS branding. :)

> Unfortunately, there now pretty much aren't. The IBM PC was a mediocre design
> in most respects, piss-poor in many, and duplicated many of the flaws of the
> first generation of PCs that most designers had already learned from and gone
> beyond. There were some very nice second-generation PCs on the market when
> IBM

I am sorry but if you compare the IBM PC to today's architectures, of
course it is not competitive. But as usual you have to see the PC when it
was first introduced, it was actually a pretty good machine. Standard well
documented bus for expansion, moudular design, scalable storage... what
a concept!

It had its faults, but then there are no perfect systems anyway. But for
that time, the PC was a darn good design!

Now I will go a duck for all the flack that will come on my way :)