[rescue] slow java code...an example of why it might be happening

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 11 21:14:32 CST 2003

--- Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:
>    I had originally put this in my other message but it seemed that
> it
> needed to be separated.
>
>    There's a huge danger of programming in a ridiculously high-level
> language like Java when the programmer don't understand the low-level
>
> Take this problem I dealt with a few weeks ago as an oversimplified
> example.

My first "real" java program was a clock - it was not GUI, but it
consumed all available CPU cycles! Brought a mid-sized Sun server to
it's knees...

I got a real good laugh out of that - run my "clock.java" program,
watch everybody's sessions hang/go slow - seems I didn't code a
well-behaved piece of code. ;^)

I don't miss Java, and I don't think it misses me.

I've seen large Java-based projects work, but it ran on *big* HP
servers with Oracle database - performance was OK, I guess (nothig to
write home about)...

=====
Lionel

http://shopping.yahoo.com