[rescue] Sun memo regarding Java

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Tue Feb 11 19:00:17 CST 2003

On Wednesday 12 February 2003 01:36, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 11, 2003, at 07:32 PM, Frank Van Damme wrote:
> > Well it damd well is, people in this era still refuse the upgrade the
> > computers from 6 years ago just because appX has to be Really Big to
> > do the
> > exact same jobs as years ago
>
>    I see your point, but I think an even bigger problem is when they
> *do* upgrade...or perform what they THINK is an upgrade but actually
> isn't, because a 1GHz PC MUST be faster than a 300MHz UltraSPARC,
> right??  Then it's people like us who have to mop up the mess.

That's a different matter, most of the people you say will never buy a
sparc, and will probably be better of with a 1 GHz pc too.

If it works.

I had some bad experience last days... got a new pc (well
mobo-case-cpu-mem), which at home didn't work; took it back to the store,
they replaced the power supply, demonstrated me it worked; I return home
with it, it's just as dead as something.

That means: I have the same problem as before they changed the psu: the
thing's beeping all the time and doesn't boot. Extra detail: it didn't do
that in the store, and I did NOT change ANY components before trying. I can
add a video card if I like, stays neatly blank. Extremely frustrating if
you SAW IT WORKS and just ceased doing that when you return home with it.

> > (not speaking of java here. I don't know java and I don't care about
> > it. You
> > want compatibility? distribute your stuff in source code form.)
>
>    Unfortunately that approach doesn't work in situations where product
> liability may be a concern.

I am just glad I don't have to care about "software + business".

--
Frank Van Damme
http://www.openstandaarden.be