[rescue] Sun memo regarding Java

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Tue Feb 11 17:13:48 CST 2003

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 05:21:36PM -0600, Brian Dunbar wrote:
> It _is_ pretty bad.  I think the last install (9iAS), on a 280R took around
> 4-6 hours.
>
> One might suspect Oracle is doing that on purpose, to allow their
> Consultants to bill while doing, essentially, nothing.  There might be a
> 'secret' switch to install the beast at light speed when the consultant is
> doing work on a fixed-price basis ... but I digress.

The secret switch, from what I can tell, is stopping the install at a
certain point (before it goes thru and re-links everything), then
tarring it up into a massive tarball, gzipping, burning to CD, and
then using that CD for all subsequent installs.

At least that is how the gurus of Oracle 8.1.7 do it.

--Patrick