[rescue] Sun memo regarding Java

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Tue Feb 11 16:30:28 CST 2003

>> predecessors. Granted, it makes more of a difference to me because, as
>> one of the IT folks, I never have the fastest box on my desk...
>>
>> It appears to me that the equation is like this: java = slow.
>

>   YES, DUH!  It's a virtual machine.  It will never be, it CAN never be,
> as fast as native code!

Yes, I realize that portability may very well be inversely proportional
to speed. My principal complaint is really with Oracle choosing to
provide a GUI-only install for its database, and then writing the thing
to be so slow...

To be fair, I may be placing more blame than is appropriate on java, but
at least if you're going to force the use of a GUI for your product,
make it a good one, please...

Steve