[rescue] Sun memo regarding Java

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Tue Feb 11 05:08:50 CST 2003

"Sheldon T. Hall" wrote:
> Java suckage isn't limited to Solaris, I'm sorry to say, but Solaris does
> seem to bring out some of Java's worst qualities.
>
> For extra amusement, try running Sun's "HotJava" web browser on an older,
> slower SPARCstation.  It takes so long to load that you lose interest in the
> whole thing, and viewing actual web pages with it is agonizing.

Unfortunately (in my view) Oracle has also picked up the java torch. Now
you pretty much need a GUI to install their database software. It used
to installa nd run on a lighterweight machine with no X installed at
all, thank you. AFAICT java has just lengthened and made more difficult
the whole installation process.

The Oracle client software is also java. It is also slower than it
predecessors. Granted, it makes more of a difference to me because, as
one of the IT folks, I never have the fastest box on my desk...

It appears to me that the equation is like this: java = slow.

--
Steve Sandau
IS Technician, TMA Bath, Maine
ssandau at bath.tmac.com