[rescue] Sun Monitor on an SGI

Bjorn Ramqvist v53278 at g.haggve.se
Tue Feb 11 01:43:07 CST 2003

JJ Streicher-Bremer wrote:

> I have a complete newbie question about SGI video output.  I have a Sun
> monitor with a 13W3 pigtail, and I have an SGI Indego 2 coming in the mail
> tomorrow.  Can I plug my Sun monitor into my SGI and have it work?  I see from
> http://www.monitorworld.com/Cables/video_standards.html that the 3 main pins
> are correct but the others are not.  Will I fry my monitor if I try
> (shuddddddder)?

>From earlier experiences, this works:

Sun 20D10 + SGI = not working
Sun 20E20 + SGI = working

SGI 20D11 + Sun = not working
SGI 20E21 + Sun = working
SGI 17E11 + Sun = working

I know the E-series (20E20, 20E21 and 17E11) is multisync, and supports
all flavours of syncing (sync-on-green (SGI), combined sync (Sun) and
seperate sync(PeeCee)), and generally supports almost every common
horizontal/vertical frequencies out there, withing limits. The D-series
seems more picky, and syncs only on green (the SGI monitor) or the
combined vertical+horizontal sync-pin (Sun). They also only syncs at two
frequencies.

So, best fit in this case; If you have the Sun 20D10 (the one with the
remote control), you're basicly out of luck with the SGI, incase you
don't want to do some hardware-hacking or get some oddball cables that
does the magic for you. If you have the Sun 20E20, you can use it on you
SGI without problems.

/Bjorn