[rescue] Sun memo regarding Java

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Tue Feb 11 00:11:46 CST 2003

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 11:40:00PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    Would you say this is the normal procedure for the developers of,
> say, KDE?

I have never once used KDE.  I haven't looked at their source code
either.

I do know that GNOME is written in straight C, and some GNOME programs
do stupid things like reload icons dozens of times when one would do, or
reloading fonts, and many other amazingly stupid things (or at least it
used to, I haven't kept up with more recent stuff in the GNOME 2.0
chain).

If you use stupid algorithms and designs, any piece of code will be slow
regardless of language.  Java and C++ programmers just seem to do this
more than most C programmers (of the non-GNOME variety) do.