[rescue] SGI Indigo 2 Video Option board question

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Feb 10 21:43:07 CST 2003

> I've discovered the Indigo 2 10000 with MaxImpact graphics that I
> aquired also has an MGV1 video option board.

> I'm not finding much information on the net about what I can do with
> this option board.

Okay, but without knowing much more than you said, I found some pointers.
There are two different "video option boards" that might have been
in an Impact R10K system, according to
  http://obsolete.majix.org/computers/sgi.indigo2/
and based on the listing at
  http://www.bbsolutions.com/sgi/indigo2.html
it looks as though you probably have what the first site lists as the
"Indigo2 Impact Video" (broadcast-quality video with digital input
and output) as opposed to the lower-end "Indigo2 Video for Impact".
Or I could be mis-reading it entirely.  See also the page at
  http://sgistuff.g-lenerz.de/machines/indigo2.html
which also showed up in the first 30 seconds of Googling.

Tell you what, if you don't feel like mucking with that card, I'll give
you 20 bucks for it and throw it in my R4400/HighImpact box.  If you
*really* want 10/100 Ethernet more than MaxImpact graphics, then
let's talk trade--I have the compatible 3COM (not the "official" Phobos
version) 10/100 EISA card in my I2.  I'd rather have MXI graphics
than the 10/100 Ethernet.

Of course, what I'd really rather have is an R10K box to begin with--
by my judgment, you got a steal getting an R10K/MXI box for $125 shipped.

> Also, I'm surprised nobody had any information about my failure to boot
> Irix 6.2 Install CD....
I'm confused--I thought this thing came with 6.5.x media?  I've never
tried to boot 6.2 on a R10K system--in fact, it's been > 3 years since
I installed 6.2.  Hmm.  Based on the timeline for R10K release (1996)
there's no question that 6.2 should boot there.  Sorry, NFI.

   --Rip