[rescue] Sun memo regarding Java

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Mon Feb 10 19:48:17 CST 2003

"Dave McGuire" <mcguire at neurotica.com> writes ...

> On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 06:21 PM, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

[snip]

> > Maybe this one time, Microsoft is right.
>
>    With what, exactly?  .NET?  C#?  No thanks.

Nah, I was thinking of their hosing it up so no one could use it for the
purpose for which it was designed, i.e. portable code.  Then dropping it
when Sun objected....

> If you want speed, write in C.  If you want binary-level portability
> and EXTREMELY rapid app development, write in Java.  If you want to get
> a free membership to the local prepubescent-kids-only Linux club, write
> in C++.  It's as simple as that.

If you want to have a job forever, yea, verily, and on into the next life,
write in COBOL.

FWIW, our shop does some Java, but I haven't noticed that the development
was all that rapid; in fact, rather the contrary.  Might not be Java at
fault, of course....

-Shel