[rescue] Sun memo regarding Java

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Feb 10 17:33:14 CST 2003

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    Why would anyone *ever* want to use such a management tool, even if
> it were fast?  I see zero usefulness.

Because metatool was missing and the tools for editing volume manager
metadata changed between $oldversion and 9.0.  I gave up and learned the
new command-line utilities.

It boiled down to needing RAID and needing RAID -right- -then-.  I
thought it'd be easier to pointy-clicky my way to a temporary RAID to
handle a failing server's data, but the management tool was so damned
slow that I was able to read & understand the new man pages before it
even loaded the metadata editor.

--
Jonathan Patschke  *)  "It's not about who's right and who's wrong...
Thorndale, TX      (*   it's about who works for the government and who