[rescue] Sun memo regarding Java

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Mon Feb 10 16:54:35 CST 2003

"Kevin Loch" <kloch at gurunet.net> writes ...

> Has everyone seen this memo posted at FC:
>
> http://www.internalmemos.com/memos/memodetails.php?memo_id=1321

> Java sucks on Solaris.
> Solaris 8+ sucks more compared to 7.

Java suckage isn't limited to Solaris, I'm sorry to say, but Solaris does
seem to bring out some of Java's worst qualities.

For extra amusement, try running Sun's "HotJava" web browser on an older,
slower SPARCstation.  It takes so long to load that you lose interest in the
whole thing, and viewing actual web pages with it is agonizing.

Why Sun would build an _installer_ around that FPOS I cannot imagine.
Installation is your new customer's first chance to see what you're doing,
and you only have one chance to make a first impression ... running the "web
Installer" built around HotJava could give one the impression that Sun has a
problem with using technology appropriate to its application.

-Shel