[rescue] SGI Indigo 2

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Mon Feb 10 14:22:00 CST 2003

I just aquired an SGI Indigo 2 and I take all my comments about
SGI construction quality back !  (I only had the Indy to go on
previously :-) ).

Also, let it be known that this system breaks the rules of physics
and must be constructed of an element heavier than those listed on
our current periodic table !  WOW !  Density wise this thing must
way more per cubic inch than my SS1000E w 8 procs and full contingent
of RAM.

It even has Max Impact graphics ! (although this means no free slots
for the 100baseTX EISA card :-( ).

It has cd-rom, 256M RAM, a 2 gig drive, and a 4 gig drive....

I'm running diags on it now.

I don't like the second hard drive's carrier/tray ... it's a cheaper
plastic job than the nice metal one the primary drive is on.... is
this a third party carrier ?  Anyone got an extra genuine SGI metal one
like the one I have in the primary drive slot ?

The CD carrier/tray has a couple of problems as well... the connector for
the drive ID doesn't attach well and it was loose causing a SCSI problem
due to ID conflict.... also where the "quick connect" connector on the
back of the tray is affixed to the metal part with two screws, one was loose
and in the process of tightening it, I discovered that half of the plastic
frame that holds the quick connect connector in place is broken.... so
I need that part or another cd tray sometime.

Also, the primary hard drive tray's cable must have ventured too close to
the metal locking mechanism and it has bared a few conductors of the ribbon
cable.... I'm thinking electrical tape, or that paint on vinyl stuff you
can make plier handles from .... or if I find one on the cheap a replacement
carrier/tray.

All in all, not bad for $121 with the shipping !

So... anyone got any drive carriers/trays they are looking to get rid of,
trade for sparc gear/parts, etc ???

Anyone shed some light on the plastic (3rd party?) drive carrier ?

I'm thinking of replacing the cd-rom with a cd writer (as I have a couple
extra 4 speed ones kicking around).... does Irix come with any writer
software, or would I just have to get something from the net ?
Recommendations ?

Also, what are all the connectors on the Max Impact... ???

-- Curt

-- Curt