[rescue] sparc sparcs

David Holland dholland at woh.rr.com
Mon Feb 10 08:28:00 CST 2003

On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 08:41, Walter Belgers wrote:
> Frank Van Damme wrote:
> > I think I have a slight problem with my sparcstation 2. Shut it down cleanly
> > the day before yesterday but now I get a error message :
> > The IDPROM contents are invalid
>
> The battery in your IDPROM is empty.

Yup, pretty classic symptoms.

> Option 1:
> . Replace the NVRAM (expensive)

_Sometimes_ you can get the manufacturer to send you engineering
samples.  But, judging from your email address, your not in the US, I
suspect your likely hood of getting them is fairly slim.

> Option 2:
> . Solder penlites onto the NVRAM, see my HOWTO at
>   http://www.belgers.com/computers/nvram/

(Interesting page, I'd never actually gotten beyond considering
disassembly on the Crimson's NVRAM.)

> . Reprogram the NVRAM with a system ID and ethernet address, see
>   http://www.squirrel.com/squirrel/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html

Probably this is your best bet, however, I'd recommend using a button
cell (CR2032 perhaps? - Dunno voltage requirements) instead of full
sized AA/AAA batteries.   Smaller, and easier to mount.  A little double
sided foam tape will hold a button cell wherever you put it.

David