[rescue] The window mangler war

Al Potter apotter at spankingnuns.com
Sat Feb 8 16:46:12 CST 2003

> On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 01:26:36PM -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 12:34:01PM -0600, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> > > But then, isn't the virtual desktop a feature provided by the Xserver?
> >
> > Not always.
>
> I see.  I guess I just never cared enough for that feature to try it on
> anything other than painfully low resolution PCs running XFree.

One does not always have a display as large as one wants, or needs.  One may
have an application which wants a display larger than the physical one.

I like to think I am one of the folks that talked the rasterman into wiring
virtualness into e.  My arguement to him at the time was that some
applications (like "make xconfig" under linux, at the time) wanted more than
640x480 or 800x600, and a that virtual window manager really filled a void
and answered a real world need.

One of the things that bothers me about blackbox/fluxbox, et al, is that
they are advertised as "lightweight", meaning they are suitable for running
on less than stellar (in terms of MIPS or screen real estate) hardware, but
that they apparently fail to address the small screen real estate problem.

AL