[rescue] IP traffic prioritizer?

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Fri Feb 7 21:21:16 CST 2003

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 01:57:59AM -0000, jwbirdsa at picarefy.com wrote:
>    I'm looking at hosting something that could conceivably peg the
> outbound side of my T1. In one sense, that's fine, since it doesn't cost
> me any more to run it at 100% than at 10%, but at the same time, I'd like
> packets from my other servers to be able to get out in a timely fashion.
> It seems to me what I'd really like to do is establish a policy in the
> gateway between my internal backbone and the Cisco handling the T1,
> which says "packets from IP address X go out only when there are no packets
> from any other address waiting." Unless I'm missing something, this
> should allow the server at X to use whatever fraction of the T1 is left
> over (which is 75% or more, most of the time) while at the same time giving
> my other servers what appears to be a mostly clear channel.

I would give a try to an OpenBSD 3.3 recent snapshot.

They merged altq in with their pf and transparent bridging code.  So
you can do packet filtering and bandwidth mgmt all together.

Then, combine with ipfm for bandwidth metering and you are set.
(install pftop from ports as well and you can view the current
stateful connections in realtime a la top).

On my ancient Cyrix 333Mhz, it used virtually no CPU on a T1 link.

--Patrick