[rescue] IP traffic prioritizer?

jwbirdsa at picarefy.com jwbirdsa at picarefy.com
Fri Feb 7 19:57:59 CST 2003

   I'm looking at hosting something that could conceivably peg the
outbound side of my T1. In one sense, that's fine, since it doesn't cost
me any more to run it at 100% than at 10%, but at the same time, I'd like
packets from my other servers to be able to get out in a timely fashion.
It seems to me what I'd really like to do is establish a policy in the
gateway between my internal backbone and the Cisco handling the T1,
which says "packets from IP address X go out only when there are no packets
from any other address waiting." Unless I'm missing something, this
should allow the server at X to use whatever fraction of the T1 is left
over (which is 75% or more, most of the time) while at the same time giving
my other servers what appears to be a mostly clear channel.

   I'm sure this isn't a unique problem, but I don't know what to look
for. I'd prefer some kind of package that I could run on NetBSD but I
have plenty of other platforms if a better solution is available that
way. Does anybody have any ideas?

   Thanks!

   --James B.