[rescue] laserjet

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Fri Feb 7 13:08:39 CST 2003

>Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 11:42:20 -0500
>From: Steve Sandau <ssandau at bath.tmac.com>
>To: patrick at zill.net, The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] laserjet
>
>>>Ah.....81K on the page count. I know it's an old machine and it prints
>>>winderfully now, but.... is it going to last?
>>
>> They should last to at least 100K... watch the rollers, they tend to
>> go first.  Also, if the LJII's I have are any indication, clean the
>> weird looking filter with the stiff cells in it as well.
>>
>Yes the should last a long time. We have some HPIIs and IIIs in service
>still. A few years ago we bought HP printer maintenance kits for them
>and I installed new rollers, fans, and so on. Good as new with the
>exception of the drum. If that goes you may want to toss it.

HPII and HPIII are Canon SX engine printers as I recall.

Parts are plentiful and dirt cheap.  Big thing that wears out is
the paper pickup roller and the fuser.  Both are pretty easy to change.

With the number of units and spare parts out there, in theory these
should be able to stay in service as long as you can get toner for them.

>These things are built like tanks, made of real metal, designed to keep
>on going...

Not the speediest or printers, but cheap to operate, and parts are
plentiful and easy to get.