[rescue] Solaris on a PPC

Robert Rose rr at rits.com.au
Fri Feb 7 01:53:35 CST 2003

At 12:19 PM 6/02/2003 -0600, Dave wrote:
>On Thursday, February 6, 2003, at 03:40 AM, Robert Rose wrote:
> > Still not sure if I can get used to Gnome, but since Sun seem to be
> > keen to ditch CDE, I guess I'd better get used to the damn thing.
>
>    Why?  You know how to build X programs.  You can even download them
>pre-compiled.  There are dozens of X window managers and at least half
>a dozen complete desktop environments for X.  You don't need to be
>locked into ANY look and feel if you're running X as your windowing
>system.

Not possible at work with shared boxen (firewalls, application servers,
etc) where installing extra software is limited to "only what is needed to
get the job done".  We can't have everyone installing their own text
editors, window managers, etc, etc, you use what comes with the
system.  ISo if Sun are moving to Gnome, then we'll move with them.

Of course individual desktops (Blade 100s) are not shared, so it's pretty
much open slather!

Rob.