[rescue] SGI/PS2 Keyboards/Mice?

Gerhard Lenerz mail at g-lenerz.de
Thu Feb 6 01:58:34 CST 2003

Hello David & all,

> It is my understanding that "modern" SGI's use PS/2 style keyboards and
> mice.  In my case a SGI Octane.

  right ("modern" =~ Indy, Indigo 2, O2, Octane and I think also
  O2000, O300(0)).

> I've two keyboards lying around as spares, both PS/2.  One was the local
> computer mart's 5.00$ special, complete with Windows key (bought within
> the last 6 months.)   The other, a original IBM PS/2 keyboard made on
> Dec 11, 1989 (according to the label on the bottom).

  I am using such old PS/2 keyboards on an Indy and I don't see a
  reason why it should not work on the Octane. If it's any help I
  could try it this afternoon.

> Is there anything I should be aware of when I'm out looking around for a
> new keyboard and mouse for this thing tomorrow?   Any reasonable guesses
> why one would work, and the other not?

  Hmmm... I've never tried keyboard only (that's what you're doing,
  right?). Maybe that is somehow related...

--
Best regards,
 Gerhard                            mailto:mail at g-lenerz.de

Old SGI Stuff                       http://sgistuff.g-lenerz.de/