[rescue] Solaris on a PPC

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Wed Feb 5 17:21:25 CST 2003

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 06:15:04PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    Perhaps.  Mike, the guy who's crashing in my spare room, has an NT
> box with a 1GHz processor and something like 512MB of RAM.  Running an
> MP3 player and a copy of IE, it swaps itself senseless and runs so
> slowly that it visibly stutters while updating the display when he
> opens up another IE window.

I used to get plenty of real work done running 3.51 on a 486/66.  It ran
many things a lot faster than windows 3.1 or windows 95.  It did swap
alot, but then, it only had 16 megs of ram, and it didn't seem to be
swapping anymore than the IPXs with 80mhz powerups and 24 megs of ram
did.  NT didn't start feeling particularly slow or unreliable until I
tried NT4 with IE 4 on a P2-266.  That thing swapped constantly despite
having 128 megs of ram.  I'd say it swapped more than the 486 had.  It
just never stopped.  It was awefull, and MP3s were unreliable too.

MS has added a lot of stuff to the kernel and on top of the kernel since
the original NT came out.